This is just a short post on the many ways in which films and telly often get MRI wrong, and one thing that they tend to get right. Also, it is a good excuse to post a few interesting MRI videos. 1. The magnet is ALWAYS on. You don't turn on an MRI. Nor do … Continue reading Magnet mistakes
Analysis can be tricky at times, especially in neuroscience. Our business is one of maths and stats, and it can all be a bit complex, especially for those new to the field. Below is a short list of resources available to neuroscientists that may be useful when trying to make sense of the data: 1. … Continue reading Resources for new neuroscientists
MRI is great for imaging tissues and organs, as it does not involve any invasive procedures (such as drugs, radiation or even needles/scalpels). It allows us to quickly and safely get a good idea of what goes on under the skin. However, just as with a photo, it can become pixelated and useless, especially if … Continue reading How small is too small? MRI of tiny structures
There is a new paper out in Scientific Reports, titled "Investigating the neural correlates of smoking: Feasibility and results of combining electronic cigarettes with fMRI". This is a study that have managed to combine actual smoking with functional MRI (fMRI). Most studies looking at brain processing of smoking run into trouble with MRI. This is … Continue reading Smoking in the scanner?
Pulmonary rehabilitation is one of the most effective treatments for breathlessness in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), yet its effect is variable. While up to 60% of patients who complete a course of treatment see an improvement, that leaves 40% that do not. Understanding why it works for some and not for others can help … Continue reading Pulmonary rehab: changing the signal
Magnetic resonance imaging is sensitive to motion. Just like with other images, movement may cause blurring and distortion ('artefacts'). To counteract this, motion correction methods are often used. These include devices that track motion as well as software that can correct some of the artefacts after the images have been collected. We have just published … Continue reading MRI and motion correction
MRI images are created from raw data contained in a raw data space, called k-space. This is a matrix where MR signals are stored throughout the scan. K-space is considered a bit of a tricky topic, so I will only outline a brief explanation of what k-space is and how it relates to the MR image. This is a … Continue reading MRI and k-space
Say you want to give an orange an MRI scan. You pop it in the scanner, apply your radiofrequency pulse, and receive the signal. This signal will differ depending on which part of the orange it comes from, for example whether it is the flesh or the peel. But how would you be able to tell where … Continue reading MRI: location, location, location
MRI is complex, but the basic events in the scanner are quite straight-forward. Below is a short, simple guide to what happens during an MRI scan without too much physics to complicate matters. It explains the actual events in the scanner and a simplified overview of the parameters we can use to change the images we … Continue reading What happens during an MRI?
Below is a blog post I wrote for our group after the Firefly neonatal scanner was highlighted on BBC. It's a great, little scanner and I'm thrilled to be involved with this research. (Link to the post on our group's blog.) Building on previous work, Professor Martyn Paley has developed the concept of a bespoke MRI … Continue reading Reblog: The Firefly Scanner is Featured on the BBC